UFCW Members at Chalet Malouin Ratify New Collective Agreement
Workers at Chalet Malouin, a seniors retirement home, ratified their new one-year collective bargaining agreement this week.
In addition to a 1.5% wage increase, the workers at Chalet Malouin secured the following benefits:
- An extra float day
- New bereavement language
- Allowing more sick time to be used for family leave
- A revamped health and wellness spending account
- A footwear allowance for all employees, who spend all day on their feet
- A increase to their RRSP contributions
- An increase to the long service premium, with a new level added
- An increase to the training premium
- Retroactive pay to April 1, 2020
“Now more than ever, we have to respect the rights of the people working with our most vulnerable populations,” said Phil Kraychuk, Union Negotiator. “These critical workers are still going into work every day, risking their own health to make good food and provide supports for the seniors they care for. This collective agreement – with higher wages, a revamped health spending account and a footwear allowance for all employees to make sure they can buy good quality shoes – helps them take care of themselves in return.”
Chalet Malouin is a seniors’ retirement home located in St. Malo, Manitoba. UFCW 832 members work in the kitchen preparing meals and provide supports for the retirees who live in the home.