Skip to Content

Health & Safety

It is our goal to help ensure every member of UFCW 832 returns home from work safe and healthy each and every day.

Our Union Reps have diverse backgrounds and work hard to assist members with all matters related to health and safety. They work to keep the membership well informed on workers’ rights.

UFCW 832 sits on a number of provincial and national committees and boards to ensure our members have a strong voice on health and safety issues, and we work hard to ensure we are recognized as a leader in this area.

If any member has any questions regarding health and safety in your workplace, please contact your Union Rep.

Submit your health & safety meeting minutes to or by fax at 204-786-3175.

Get Your Health & Safety Diploma

This program offers workshops on key health & safety issues including ergonomics and preventing workplace stress and violence.

Workers Compensation

Have you been injured at work?

If you have been injured or hurt at work, you will want to make a claim with the Workers Compensation Board Manitoba (WCB). Click on the links below to help answer questions you may have. Remember If you are not sure what to do, contact your union representative.

How to file a WCB Claim

  • You have the right to apply for Workers Compensation benefits if you have been injured at work – no matter how minor your injury. You must always follow the steps listed below: You must notify your supervisor immediately after sustaining an injury.
  • A “Green Card” (Notice of Injury Form 1) or its equivalent must be filled out and given to your supervisor.
  • Your employer must fill out a report to WCB (Form 2) within five days.
  • You must file a Workers Report of Injury – Form 3 (red form). You should keep the information the same as you have already reported.
  • When you go to a doctor, tell him exactly what happened – not just that you “got hurt at work”. Your doctor must fill out a report to WCB (Form 4).

Be specific when completing the report. Include information such as:

  • Kind of machinery and weights of tools you use.
  • How you stand or sit at the job and how fast you have to work.
  • A photograph sometimes helps.
  • Your joint health and safety committee and union should be notified. You must report your injury to the WCB for a claim to be established. WCB will then decide whether they will provide lost wages, medical benefits and drugs. If you require any assistance, contact your union representative. Or report your injury by telephone at 204-954-4321 or 1-855-954-4321 between 8am and 7pm Monday through Friday.

WCB Reporting an Injury Brochure [LINK NEEDED].

Making an Appeal

There are three steps to the appeal process of your WCB claim:

Step 1. Adjudication is where decisions regarding your claim are made.

Step 2. If you disagree with the adjudicator’s decision, you may request in writing a re-consideration of the matter at the Review Office.

Step 1. If you disagree with the Review Office’s decision, you may appeal to the Appeal Commission. This is the final level and is usually done in a hearing before an appeal panel. Remember your full name and claim number are needed when contacting the Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba.

Returning to Work

Are you returning to work on modified duties?

What You Need To Know

If you have suffered a workplace injury or illness and WCB substantiates that you are ready to return on modified or light duties you must:

  1. Get from your employer a description of the work you will be doing on modified duties.
  2. Take the description to your doctor and ask if this work is suitable for your return to work.
  3. If your doctor says the work is not suitable, you must obtain a letter from your doctor explaining why the work is not suitable. If you simply provide a letter that states “no light duties” without an explanation or reason, WCB will cut off your benefits.

It is very important to follow these steps!

For the WCB Brochure on Returning to Work click here.

Workers Advisor Office

The Workers Advisor Office is a part of the Government of Manitoba. They provide free and confidential services to injured workers and their families who require assistance when dealing with the Workers Compensation Board (WCB) of Manitoba.

Visit their website for more information, or to contact them.

Back to top