UFCW 832 Member Committees
Our member-led committees bring together cross-sections of UFCW Local 832 membership in support of each other and an aligned goal.
This committee is comprised of members aged 30 and under who are working to connect with, support and learn from other young leaders in our membership.
Women & Gender Equity Committee
This committee is dedicated to connecting with female union members and advancing the goals of the labour movement and of Manitoban organizations that support women. Our community organization of choice for 2023 is Ikwe-Widdjiitiwin.
Past activities from this group include:
- Working on community outreach, collecting items to donate to a women’s shelter,
- Providing opportunities and training for activism and political drives.
- Planning in-person events on a variety of topics for union members.
- This year, YIP is back in person!How would you like to spend a paid week away from work this June to participate in the UFCW Young Workers Internship Program? It’s an amazing learning opportunity to take a break away from work and learn more about your union, labour history and organizing, your health and safety at work, and the possibilities of … Read more
- Survey: Investigating the Challenges Canadian Women Face Regarding Work-Mandated PPEThe CSA Group, an organization the Canadian Labour Council (CLC) works closely with on developing occupational health and safety standards, is conducting a research project on the challenges Canadian Women face in regards to work-mandated personal protective equipment (PPE). They want to survey women workers to better understand how PPE is suited to, and whether … Read more
- #16days of activism against gender-based violenceAnyone can experience domestic violence. If you or someone you know is being abused, 211 Manitoba can help with information and resources. 1-877-977-0007 Domestic Violence Crisis/Info Hotline In April 2020, one in 10 women reported being very or extremely concerned about the possibility of violence in their homes. COVID has created and highlighted gaps in … Read more
- Sofa Series: Making a budgetIn this Zoom event that took place on August 25, 2021, Millie from SEED Winnipeg (Supporting Employment & Economic Development) talks us through making a budget, sharing practical tools to help set goals and manage spending. If you’re looking for help with a budget, check out the their programs at https://seedwinnipeg.ca.
- Survey: Women and Gender EquitySeptember 28, 2021: Our survey to help inform the future focus of UFCW 832’s Women and Gender Equity committee is closed. We’ll be working on putting member feedback into action in the weeks ahead.