Diageo members toasting their newly ratified contract
UFCW 832’s members at Diageo in Gimli voted yes to a new, four-year contract with improvements for wages, vacation and benefits.
“Our committee really worked hard to deliver on their co-workers needs,” says union negotiator Phil Kraychuk. “This group was looking for more than just wage increases and we made some meaningful improvements throughout their collective agreement.”
Highlights of the new agreement include:
- wage increases of 3%, 2%, 2% and 4% over the four-year deal and immediate wage adjustments in almost every classification
- $1 off shift premium for skilled trades
- increased pension
- full employer-paid, long-term disability
- added the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation to general holidays, as well as an added two days of vacation for all entitlements
- up to six days of paid sick time annually
- removed employer’s ability to bring in employees during a strike
- a Texas mickey bottle of Crown Royal for all employees following ratification.
Diageo Canada Inc.’s Gimli plant produces Crown Royal whiskey. Our members are responsible for producing, distilling and maturing the whiskey before it is shipped for bottling.