After a series of votes took place inside the workplace, the members at Vista Park Lodge (VPL) voted yes to ratify their new collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
“This was a rocky round of bargaining with the employer,” said Joe Carreiro, Union negotiator. “Our bargaining committee did a great job landing the best deal possible.”
This new agreement includes:
- All overtime will now be paid at double time
- The employer agreed to add the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation as a general holiday
- Wages for each classification will increase by 2% each year for the life of the agreement.
- 3% increase to the top rate for Health Care Aides
- Wage scales were condensed, meaning that new members would climb the wage scales faster.
- $1/hour increase to the evening premium (now $2.15/hour)
- $1.45 increase to the overnight premium (now $2.95/hour)
- .30¢/hour increase to the weekend premium (now $1.70/hour)
- Retro-pay on wages
- Plus a $500 signing bonus
The previous CBA expired on March 2022, and the current agreement will expire in March 2024. We will be back at the bargaining table very soon with this employer again to push for a new fair deal.
Vista Park Lodge is one of over 100 senior care centers owned and operated by Extendicare. UFCW 832 represents over 90 members there. UFCW members are the health care aides, dietary aides, recreational, activity aides, housekeeping, kitchen staff, and laundry services.