Your negotiations committee just wrapped up four slow days at the bargaining table with Sobeys Capital Incorporated.
On Wednesday we requested that the company provide us with their position on all monetary items including wages but they did not. Your negotiating committee is concerned that Sobeys is not taking the Union proposals seriously. Members like you have told us that during this pandemic they have felt underappreciated by their employer and we have heard you! We need to make sure that Sobeys understands this as well.
That is why we are now asking all of you to help. We need to send Sobeys a message letting them know that we are serious about getting a deal that reflects the hard work and sacrifice all of you have made during the pandemic. We need YOU to stand behind your bargaining committee and support a strike mandate by voting YES!
WHAT DOES A STRIKE MANDATE MEAN FOR MY BARGAINING COMMITTEE?
Your committee needs a strike mandate to apply pressure and show Sobeys that our members are serious about getting a good deal.
WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO GO OUT ON STRIKE?
A strike mandate does not mean you will automatically go on strike. You will get another vote on the company’s last offer before any strike would begin.
With the current public health restrictions in place, we need to change the way we vote. Usually we would all meet in a hall and cast ballots. This round of bargaining will be different, we are asking you to vote online or by phone. Details of the process are listed below.
STRIKE MANDATE VOTE DETAILS
- Voting will be open for 48 hours from Friday, February 25 at 6:00 pm to Sunday, February 27 at 6:00 pm.
- You will be able to vote online or by telephone. Because of COVID-19, we will not have in-person voting or meetings.
- The information you need to login and vote will be mailed to you directly from the third-party company organizing our vote. They will also be emailing it to the members we have email information for. That email will come from email@example.com.
- Once you login online or call in by phone to vote, you will first listen to a 5-minute update on negotiations and then cast your vote.
- If you will not be able to vote online or by telephone, please contact your Union Rep before 4:00 pm on Wednesday, February 23.
- If you encounter issues with voting once it begins, please reach out to your Union Rep for assistance.
Mountain & McGregor
Wayoata & Kildare
Jefferson & McPhillips
Sargent & Maryland
Henderson & Douglas
Osborne & Kylemore
Pembina & Chancellor
Burrows & Keewatin
Portage & Cavalier
River & Osborne
Pembina & McGillivray
St Anne’s & Fermor (Alpine)
Henderson & Bronx
On behalf of your entire bargaining committee, we thank you in advance for your commitment and your support! Let’s show Sobeys that all of you deserve better!
Take care and stay safe,
UFCW Local 832 President & Your Lead Negotiator