UFCW 832 Young-Worker Education Program (YEP!)
September 16 @ 6:00 pm – September 18 @ 3:00 pm Winnipeg
Over the weekend of Sept 16, 17 and 18 at our training centre, we are hosting our first ever Young-Worker Education Program (YEP!)
Our goal is to bring young workers together from across our membership here in Manitoba and give them an opportunity to learn more about the union, how we operate, and how it benefits workers.
You will be encouraged to take part, ask questions and take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about your union.
Our workshops will include:
- The collective bargaining process – We’ll explain how the process works, and through some mock bargaining we’ll split up into ’employer’ and ‘union’ sides and hash out a collective agreement.
- Who is UFCW? – Who are the United Food and Commercial Workers? Where did we come from? How did we get as big as we are? We will go over all of that.
- The history of the labour movement – We’ll review how and why unions were first formed, and how the function of unions has evolved over the years.
- Why politics matters – If you think your vote doesn’t matter, you’re wrong. We’re going to discuss, why it matters, and why unions have traditionally supported the NDP.
- A Visit to the Manitoba Museum – We’ll all head down to the Manitoba Museum, for a lesson on the 1919 Winnipeg General Strike.
- Plus food and fun – There will be a get-together on Friday evening with food supplied, along with coffee and snacks on both mornings and a lunch provided on Saturday and Sunday.
Pay and Accommodations
- 16 hours will be paid to you at your current rate of pay.
- If you live outside of Winnipeg we will contact you to arrange transport and accommodations.
You have to book your own time off work!
If you are a successful applicant, you will have to book the time off with your employer. If you cannot get the weekend off, then you will not be able to attend.
You have to apply to participate
If you’re interested, then apply now! Space is limited!
The deadline to sign up is Wednesday, August 3 at noon.
We will let you know by Friday, August 5, so you have plenty of time to book your time off with your employer.